Join the team...
Currently accepting applications for Construction Assistant
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To provide support to the construction activities of Macon Area Habitat for Humanity. As a Neighborhood Revitalization affiliate, MAHFH’s construction program includes primarily new construction, but also periodic rehabilitation/repairs of foreclosed and recycled units and critical home repairs and weatherization interventions to owner-occupied structures. Additional affiliate construction activities include demolition and deconstruction. This support will be concentrated on Tuesdays through Saturdays.
Working under the supervision and guidance of the Construction Manager, the Construction Assistant will help:
1. Ensure the quality construction and cost-effectiveness of all Macon Area Habitat for Humanity homes.
2. Provide appropriate leadership and delegation to all construction volunteers and subcontractors.
3. Act as a responsible representative of Macon Area Habitat for Humanity to the community, volunteers, donors, partner families, Habitat for Humanity International and home applicants.
1. Assist the Construction Manager to plan tasks for volunteer workdays during the week and for Saturdays.
2. With guidance from the Construction Manager, to provide appropriate leadership and guidance to volunteers and crew leaders on Saturdays or other workdays.
3. Ensure that the materials ordered by the Construction Manager for Saturdays are delivered and secured on Fridays.
4. Arrive at the worksite at least a half-hour before volunteers are expected on Saturday mornings and/or other workdays to ensure that materials and tools are available for volunteers to use.
5. Ensure that the site is neatly packed up at the end of the workday.
6. Be familiar with all processes and steps necessary to complete all construction projects to plan.
7. Help identify and procure the appropriate materials needed for each project, ensuring that adequate materials are available when needed.
8. Supervise volunteers and contractors on the worksite.
9. Work with the Executive Director and Construction Manager to actively seek and secure in-kind donations of building materials to be used in MAHFH houses.
10. Follow all safety regulations and seek immediate medical care when needed.
11. Work with crew leaders and house captains on safety policies, volunteer management, and technical support.
12. Stay abreast of current construction standards and local codes.
13. Perform other construction- and site development-related duties as assigned by the Construction Manager.
Commitment to the philosophy of Macon Area Habitat for Humanity and enthusiasm for the mission
Familiarity with the residential construction process.
Experience working with volunteers of different skills a plus.
High school diploma or equivalent
Strong organizational and communication skills
Dependability and integrity
Ability to work well and communicate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds
Preference is given to individuals with construction experience, knowledge of Habitat for Humanity and a history of volunteerism
This position is funded through a generous grant from the Central Georgia Covid-19 Response and Recovery Fund.
Interested candidates should submit a resume to:
Ivey Hall, Executive Director
690 Holt Avenue
Macon, GA 31204
Give the Gift of Home, and your tax-deductible gift will help build more homes in partnership with families in need of affordable housing.
Learn more about our Homeownership Program and Home Repair Programs.
Please view the following video to learn more about Habitat for Humanity.